Export from EndNote
1. Please make sure you have installed RefMan (RIS) Export in EndNote. If yes, please continue to step 5. If no, please see steps 2-4.
RefMan (RIS) Export can be located in Open Style Manager, but check if it is recently updated RIS style – see the date below:
2. No? Download from the EndNote web page:
3. Save RIS in the Styles folder within the EndNote folder (\Styles\) or create this folder manually.
4. Close and re-open EndNote. Open it again.
5. If you want to export attachments as well (for example articles saved as PDF-files), do the following:
a: In EndNote, go to Edit > Output Styles. Choose «Open Style Manager»:
b: Find Refman (RIS) Export in the list and click Edit
c: This opens a new window – Style Editor. Find Templates on the left side under Bibliography. Click Reference types and choose Journal Article. Check that you have the following line: L1 File `File Attachments|`.
d: Save (File > Save), close the program and restart EndNote.
e: Sometimes it is necessary (especially with older versions of EndNote) to convert figures and images to PDF-files. Go to References > Figure, and choose Convert Figures to File Attachment
6. Export the library: Go to File > Export. Choose to save in the EndNote folder. Choose Text File (*.txt) in Save as type and RefMan (RIS) Export in Output style. Click Save and save as My EndNote library to Zotero Library. Sometimes you need to choose the recently updated/downloaded RefMan (RIS) Export style in Output Style via Select Another Style before you save:
Import to Zotero
1. In Zotero: temporary deactivate automatic sync: Tools - Preferences - Sync.
Remove Sync automatically:
2. Start the import: Click File or Settings and choose Import.
3. Find the file My EndNoteLibrary to Zotero Library. Click Open:
4. A separate collection for the imported library will be created in Zotero. You can remove this collection, references will be already merged with the existing Zotero library or a new main Zotero library will be automatically created: