Note: As of the publication year 2015 a new calculation for publication points is introduced.
The performance-based model aims at stimulating more scientific publication, with higher quality.
The "RBO" funding total is fixed each year. This means that the money value of a publication point is dependent on the total sum of publication points awarded to the institutions in the higher education sector. The distribution of publication points one year, e.g. 2013, is reflected in the reallocation of budget funds two years later, e.g. 2015.
Publications registered in the CRIStin system will yield publication points, if certain conditions exists:
- The publication must meet all criteria defining a scientific publication.
- The publication must be published through an approved, peer-reviewed "publication channel", i.e. a publisher, journal or series registered at scientific "level 1" or "level 2" in the NSD register of authorised publishing channels. The level reflects the prestige of the publication channel. Level 2 has the higher prestige, and publishing through such a channel will yield more publication point (table below). The scientific level of a publication channel can also be found in each publication record in the CRIStin database.
See also more information about the NSD register.
- The publication must clearly state the author's affiliation.
- The publication must be registered in the CRIStin database prior to annual deadlines stated at our CRIStin homepage.
Publication points awarded according to publication category and scientific level:
|Publication category||Level 1||Level 2|
|Academic article in journal or series (with ISSN)||1||3|
|Academic article or chapter in book anthologies/proceedings (with ISBN, without ISSN)||0,7||1|
- The publication points for a publication are divided equally between the authors.
- If an author has credited more than one institution, his/hers points share will be divided between the institutions credited.
- Only the point shares that are credited to Norwegian institutions in the CRIStin-system will be translated to actual money in form of the "RBO" part of governmental funding.
- The money value of a publication point varies from year to year, and can be found in the annual, Norwegian only Orientering om forslag til statsbudsjett for universiteter og høyskoler ("the blue book").
The value of a publication point for the budget year 2015: NOK 34919 (this value is based on the sector results reported for the publication year 2013).