Dissertations published by the University of South-Eastern Norway must follow USN's design manual. Your are adviced to start using the template early in the writing process.
The pagination in the published dissertation should be the same as when it is delivered to the committee. Format your manuscript according to the template before submitting to committee.
The document must be in A4 format. Parts of the thesis that are only available in other formats do not need to be changed in order to be printed. The downscaling to 17x24 cm is done at the print shop. Use the Style panel in Word for easier formatting of headings, text, captions and tables of contents.
- You are responsible for formatting the manuscript. The university library will not edit text, adapt figures and tables, or create table of contents etc.
- You create pdf-version of your files, but you don't need to merge them.
- If you like the university library to help you collate files or make a temporary cover prior to sending it to the committee, you must contact us at least seven working days in advance.
- If you wish to have an illustration other than the standard coveron the published dissertation, you must allow extra time. You can also contact the Section for media and communication about the cover.
- You must send all your files to the university library at least four weeks prior to the defence in order to have both print and electronic editions published in due time.
- It is your responsibility to check copyright issues with papers you want to include in the electronic edition.
- Make a temporary cover for the committee edition.
- Make a cover, title page and colophon.
- Help collate the files to one file.
- Order copies from the print shop.
- Publish in USN Open Archive.
Questions? Contact us on e-mail email@example.com.
- Heading 1: Times New roman, bold, 18, numbered.
- Heading 2: Calibri, bold, 16, numbered.
- Heading 3: Calibri, 14, numbered.
- Heading 4: Calibri, italicized, 12, numbered.
- Headings in first part of the manuscript: Times New roman, bold, 18. (UseTitle in the style-panel)
- Paragraphs are divided by a blank line.
- All normal text is Calibri light 12. 1,5 line spacing, justified.
- Italicize highlighted words
- Use footnotes, not endnotes.
- Do not use lines narrower than 0,25 pt.
- Captions to tables and illustrations are Calibri 12.
All chapters starting with heading 1, should be on an odd page. The main pagination starts with page 1 in chapter 1. Add blank pages when needed.
The dissertation should, if possible, have this compsition:
- (Leave out title page and colophon, give title information to the university library separately
- Dedication (optional)
- Preface (optional)
- Abstract in Norwegian (mandatory in dissertaions in Norwegian)
- Abstract in English (Inklude keywords, mandatory)
- List of papers (mandatory when article-based)
- Papers summary (optional)
- List of tables (optional)
- List of figures (optional)
- Abbreviations (optional)
- Chapter 1 etc
- Litterature – after last chapter, normally before the papers
Make a title page befor each paper, containing the reference of the article. Should be on an odd page. Add a blank page before so that the article will start on an odd page.
Cover, title page and colophon are made by the university library.