Our Open Access (OA) policy includes the following elements:
1. All research results from USN must be easily identifiable and accessible online. All publications must be stored in USN's archive, and that archive is to be freely accessible online.
2. All research results from USN must be made publicly accessible at the point of publication. This means that anyone can use and redistribute the material for various purposes without having to pay or obtain consent. Staff at USN can only publish in journals with embargo periods, if there are no decent alternatives.
3. If possible, research data from USN must be accessible and open. This means that anyone can use research data for various purposes without having to pay or obtain consent, unless special circumstances dictate otherwise (sensitive personal data, security considerations etc.).
4. USN will pay fees for open publishing. USN will cover expenses for OA publications and contribute funds for the establishment and operation of OA journals.
5. The allocation of research time and financial resources from USN presupposes open publishing. USN allocates substantial resources for its own employees to conduct research, and requires that anyone in receipt of such resources must make their research openly available.
Details of the Open Access policy can be found in the document "Supplementary guidelines for OA policy at USN". The policy and its implementation will be continuously evaluated by the vice-rector for research, innovation and internationalisation.
The board gives the rector the authority to make changes to the "Supplementary guidelines for OA policy" when necessary.